Friday, September 18, 2009

Belief-O-Matic: What's Your Faith & Spiritual Type?


This site assumes no liability for the state of your soul. Classified as "entertainment," it confirmed hunches yet surprised me at how I'd lapsed from my childhood faith, now dead last out of 27 possibilities. I wish I wasn't so close to being half of #12, and I'm uncertain what #11 means vs. #4-- which makes me sound flaky-- but it will give me thoughts to ponder as this weekend our family attends services at a denomination between #17 & 19 on the spectrum, but not #18, if you can figure that riddle out. My potato-famished ancestors roll in boggy graves. But their pagan forebears may smile down upon my return to a primitive, if romanticized, fold. Not sure how Druids or dogmatic Papists would regard Buddha's Great Vehicle, however.

Take the "Belief-O-Matic Quiz: What's Your Faith?" While answering, it looked mighty close to Hinduism for me, and that Jainism tilt makes me wonder, as it'd be difficult for me to wear a mask to avoid inhaling insects. My diligence for the care of my soul ensued after my wife sent me an e-mail headed "my test results," which I admit upset me before opening the contents. Luckily, a benign diagnosis. Unless you're one of the 44% of my fellow citizens who believe our world was created 10,000 years ago in six days. And who presumably relegate me and mine as Satan's pals. The anti-Darwinians should meet our neighbors, affable second-generation hippie vegans.

My wife got #1 for my #4, so I guess we're aligned. Her #1: Unitarian Universalist; 98% for Liberal Quaker, New Age and Neo-Pagan nearly there. Intriguingly, her own faith of sorts growing up's at #7, so she strayed less from her own attenuated roots. Strange, as I consider myself culturally Catholic, but in terms of believing any of the faith of my fathers, 13%/#27 seems to settle that hash.

The site explains: Even if YOU don't know what faith you are, Belief-O-Matic™ knows. Answer 20 questions about your concept of God, the afterlife, human nature, and more, and Belief-O-Matic™ will tell you what religion (if any) you practice...or ought to consider practicing. Warning: Belief-O-Matic™ assumes no legal liability for the ultimate fate of your soul.My warning: the site has zillions of pop-up ads you must click through and you're expected to "register" with them before sending on the results, so I opted out for the old cut-and-paste.

A Personality quiz about your religious and spiritual beliefs:

Your Results:
The top score on the list below represents the faith that Belief-O-Matic, in its less than infinite wisdom, thinks most closely matches your beliefs. However, even a score of 100% does not mean that your views are all shared by this faith, or vice versa.

Belief-O-Matic then lists another 26 faiths in order of how much they have in common with your professed beliefs. The higher a faith appears on this list, the more closely it aligns with your thinking.


1. Mahayana Buddhism (100%)
2. Neo-Pagan (100%)
3. Unitarian Universalism (94%)
4. New Age (91%)
5. Liberal Quakers (84%)
6. Theravada Buddhism (81%)
7. Hinduism (75%)
8. Jainism (74%)
9. Taoism (67%)
10. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (64%)
11. New Thought (56%)
12. Scientology (56%)
13. Secular Humanism (56%)
14. Sikhism (55%)
15. Orthodox Quaker (45%)
16. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (43%)
17. Reform Judaism (43%)
18. Baha'i Faith (32%)
19. Orthodox Judaism (29%)
20. Nontheist (28%)
21. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (26%)
22. Jehovah's Witness (26%)
23. Seventh Day Adventist (25%)
24. Islam (20%)
25. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (19%)
26. Eastern Orthodox (13%)
27. Roman Catholic (13%)

My wife and I scored the same on a related quiz you can link to at BeliefNet: "What Spiritual Type Are You?" This allows more flexibility as you'd expect for some of your judgments, but compliments the "religious" one well. This time, I "felt" I answered more questions traditionally than the "religious" one, which may reflect in my middling, lukewarm score. As Jesus generously mused about we ditherers, us spiritually tepid: He'd vomit 'em outta His ever-lovin' mouth. Typical big-city Californians, here's what I/we as sun-dazed scatterbrains scored:

Quiz: What's Your Spiritual Type?

You scored 53, on a scale of 25 to 100. Here's how to interpret your score:
25 - 29 Hardcore Skeptic -- but interested or you wouldn't be here!
30 - 39 Spiritual Dabbler -- Open to spiritual matters but far from impressed
40 - 49 Active Spiritual Seeker -- Spiritual but turned off by organized religion
50 - 59 Spiritual Straddler -- One foot in traditional religion, one foot in free-form spirituality
60 - 69 Old-fashioned Seeker -- Happy with my religion but searching for the right expression of it
70 - 79 Questioning Believer -- You have doubts about the particulars but not the Big Stuff
80 - 89 Confident Believer -- You have little doubt you've found the right path
90 - 100 Candidate for Clergy

[Photo: "Great Tattoo Designs Blog: Cross Tattoos"]

2 comments:

Bo said...

I had almost identical results to you!

John L. Murphy / "Fionnchú" said...

Bo, I had a feeling you would. Glad you took it; I was hoping you'd see this and go ahead. Perhaps inspiration for your own wonderful pair of blogs?