Saturday, December 29, 2007

Gaeilge graffito: West Belfast


Gaeilge graffito: West Belfast

"Labhair cibé Gaeilge atá agat"= Speak whatever Irish you've got.
"Is fearr Gaeilge bhriste ná Béarla cliste"=Broken Irish is better than clever English.

I'd been looking for pictures of these slogans, after my last visit when I forgot to snap my own shots near this entrance to Ballymurphy from the Whiterock Road. They inspired me as a tired learner returning from a fortnight at Oideas Gael in Donegal. I came to see my friends after a long bus ride only to then trudge down the Falls Road. (I wasn't able to flag a black taxi.) Ciarán Ó Brolcháin posted photos on the blog Indymedia /Saormheáin of the Six Counties Irish-language Act march from here to city center, and going up Black Mountain. A fine day! Monday 11 June 2007.

Graffito as Gaeilge i mBeál Feirste Thiar

Bhí mé ag lorg grianghrafaí faoi sluaghánnaí seo, roimh thug cuairt caite agam nuair ligith mé grianghraf mear a thógáil de seo i ndearmad in aice leis dul isteach seo Baile Ui Mhurchú uaidh an Bóthar Carraig Bhán. Spreagaigh mé orthu chomh mac leinn go tuirseach ag filleadh ar feadh coiscis é ar ais Oideas Gael i nDún na gGall. Tháinig mé a feiceáil mo chairde riamh turas fada ar bus mar sin a crágáil ag dul sios Bóthar na nBhfál. (Ní raibh mé abalta scairt tacsai dubh.) Thaisteal Ciarán Ó Brolcháin ar an bpost grianghrafaí ar an blog Indymedia /Saormheáin leis máirseáil Acht na Gaeilge Sé Chontae i dTuaisceart Éireann go anseo go dtí an lár-- agus ag dul suas Sliabh Dubh. Lá brea! De Luain, 11 Meitheamh, 2007.

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/82963

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thats a good picture you have there of the Whiterock road. I haven't seen that one in Irish. After a while they become part of the woodwork. Did you enjoy your stay here? I haven't seen any in Irish anywhere else but if I see some I'll forward them to you.

Nice blog BTW.