Saturday, March 20, 2010

Better than a horoscope? Personality Test


I took the Jung-Myers-Briggs Typology test for the third time (different questions however each time) over the past year or two, and it's the same results. So, I guess it's really me. Link at: "Personality Inventories". I had my frosh Critical Thinking students try this, so I dived in again. Scroll down a bit at that URL for the test.

This may be our era's version of phrenology, mood rings, theories of the humours, or Ouija for all I know. But, out of 16 categories, I keep hitting the same target, so here 'tis. The Human Metrics site ("Try Your Traits Before Trying Fate") explains:
According to the Jung - Myers-Briggs typology all people can be classified using four criteria:
Extroversion - Introversion, Sensing - Intuition
Thinking - Feeling, Judging - Perceiving
Different combinations of the criteria determine a type. For example:
ISTJ - Introvert Sensing Thinking Judging
Upon completing Jung Typology Test you will obtain your type formula, strengths of the preferences and type description. It may help you to identify your life style in general and with respect to specific fields of activity. You will also obtain a list of the most suitable career choices based on your personality, along with some educational institutions where you can receive a relevant degree or training.


INTJ
Introverted Intuitive Thinking Judging
Strength of the preferences %
100 25 50 67


A pragmatic perfectionist, a mastermind, but a rather quiet and obsessively organized character. Here is a good link to the logic behind the types. I find its attached description scarily accurate for my type: INTJ Profile

I liked these compiled attributes, even if they relegate me to sidekick. Novelty's a good one, preferable to freak. Enigma definitely, to myself as to others. Anima matches Jung neatly, but many people I know might peg me pedagogue. Or pedant.

Type Relationships for INTJs:
Identity
Pal
Complement
Contrast
Supplement
Anima
Suitemate
Cohort
Companion
Tribesman
Advisor
Pedagogue
Enigma
Novelty
Neighbor
Counterpart

Who fits these? The results suggest these INTJs, inter alia: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Chevy Chase, Ike, Nietzsche, General Grant, Lance Armstrong, Colin Powell, Stephen Hawking, Michelle Obama, Hillary Clinton, Jefferson, JFK and Hannibal Lecter.

No idea how shrinks figure out historical figures who match me such as Jane Austen, Julius Caesar and the other Hannibal. Not to mention fictional figures: Professor Moriarty, Cassius (in Shakespeare), Mr Darcy, Gandalf, or Clarise Starling, A definite "Silence of the Lambs" vibe going here. What did some of you find out?

Photo: More intriguing than the usual pie charts from an image search. Those are neither my stockings nor my legs. Taken by "ATENCION" and labelled "Jung Typology." Captioned:

64.

After prolonged socializing you feel you need
to get away
and be
alone

YES / NO

4 comments:

Ipmilat said...

I took the test and I came out as an ISFP. Marie Antoinette took it as well, and got the same result. Compared with you INTJs, us ISFPs are better dressed and will take a trip in the near future. No fictional characters are listed for this type, so I'm torn between Britney Spears and Elizabeth Taylor for my role models. A gentleman named Joe Butt writes:

'The ISFP may employ Extraverted Thinking in external situations requiring closure. As is the case with inferior functions, such Thinking behaves in an all or nothing manner. Thus, as with other FP types, the ISFP's Extraverted Thinking is at risk for a lack of context and proportion. In most cases, persons of this type enjoy greater facility operating in the open-ended style of sensing, implying the opinions of feeling values in the indirect fashion characteristic of introverted functions.'

I haven't a clue what that means, and I'm not 100% sure the last sentence makes sense. Maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong.

John L. Murphy / "Fionnchú" said...

VS, Joe Butt reads like a shrink's Mad Libs. As if he filled in some nouns from a template. But it's reassuring you have a better fashion sense, given Liz & Marie's inspiration, if not Brittany's. On the other hand, it'd be hard to do worse than my dress style. If I lived where you did, I'd be sartorial peer to the late Michael Foot.

INTJ said...

Hey INTJ here too. Frankly, I get tired hearing people comparing MBTI to things like phrenology or astrology. All MBTI is meant to do is measure which style you prefer on some very grounded, down to earth things. It may not be perfectly scientific in all way, I admit, but it's far from something like astrology.

John L. Murphy / "Fionnchú" said...

INTJ, my students in a college first-year Critical Thinking course use the Jung Inventory to help them examine their personalities and align with career ambitions, skills, and strengths. A Career Development course near graduation also encourages them to take it, or recall it, and they find this exercise fun and useful even if they do not always agree with it!